5/09/2015

My life lately

I haven't written at all about my experience back in Mexico City. I don't really know where to start, other than it's been such an interesting, challenging, motivating, and exciting time! What this whole process means is I'm finally achieving one of my dreams, one that had been pushed aside for other dreams (and for others' dreams). I came back to it and, as it usually happens with these things, it was just at the right time.




Let me backtrack a little. I got my undergrad degree in International Relations and always planned on entering the diplomatic academy, with the goal of becoming an ambassador one day. Six years later I decided I wasn't so sure about that, and chose instead to try to enter the UN service. That fell through and I took a couple of jobs here and there before becoming involved in an international human rights organization. I was a volunteer for two years (yes, I know what a huge privilege I had to be able to do that on no real income); I learned a lot, about my country, about being professional, about office environments, about multicultural environments, you name it. My next job was at a foreign embassy in Mexico City and it was a whole different perspective, but I guess that's where the desire to be a diplomat came back. Then it was my Master's degree abroad and work at the State Attorney's Office back in my hometown. I've written before about that experience.




The thing is, my old dream came back and I applied to the academy. It was a long and stressful process, which consisted of sending in applications, waiting for a list, bringing in your documents, waiting for another list, a week full of exams, waiting for another list, another week of exams and interviews, and some more waiting. Now I'm in the final stage of the selection process, which is the longest one, and also the one that requires a lot more commitment. You see, I'm in school now, taking classes all day long, 5 days a week, plus homework, exams, extracurricular activities... the whole package. And I'm loving it.




I'm learning so much, I'm meeting lots of new people, I'm seeing another angle of what happens in this country, in this city. It's a challenge, of course, but I'm excited about what it means and what it will bring in terms of fulfilment, adventures, and excitement. There will certainly be rough patches ahead, learning curves in each new place, each bringing its own challenge,  but I feel like I'm finally on the right path.

I can't say I'm waiting anymore for anything to begin. It has already arrived, and I will give it my best.





Subscribe to Our Blog Updates!




Share this article!
Return to top of page
Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML