8/15/2014

Everything I Ever Needed to Know About Life I Learnt from The Beatles



There's a reason The Beatles are still popular today. They explored with sound and vocals, incorporated their life experiences into their music, wrote some catchy tunes and some very deep ones. And I just realized, watching Across the Universe (if you haven't seen it yet, what are you waiting for?) that their music has some very profound life lessons. Yes, even some of those written in the middle of heartbreak, or while high on drugs.

I was introduced to their music from a young age by a great-aunt and her husband, who was English. She have my first Beatles tape (Revolver) and they remain very close to my heart to this day. How can you not love a band that creates things like Blue Meanies or writes odes to random streets (Penny Lane), or writes every variation of a love song possible? Obviously, when I was living in Manchester I had to go on pilgrimage to Liverpool, and while I didn't do the whole Beatles tour there, I had a very fun time down at The Cavern.





Here's what I've learnt from The Beatles and their music:


Girl
She's the kind of girl you want so much it makes you sorry
Still you don't regret a single day
Love can be tough sometimes, but why should we regret it? There are some stories that are worth telling over and over.


Black Bird
Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
Because when you're at your darkest, most difficult moment, you have to learn to pick yourself up and keep going.


Hey Jude
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders
For well you know that it's a fool
who plays it cool by making his world a little colder
Sometimes we forget that when share our burdens with others, they become lighter. We try to solve everything on our own but that's not really going to help us.


With a Little Help From my Friends
I could quote the whole song, but this one's pretty straightforward: everything's easier when you're surrounded by your friends. Even getting high (so I'm told).


Revolution
You say you want a revolution
Well, you know, we all want to change the world
So true! To a different extent, we're all trying to change something, whether it's our outlook on life or an oppressive political regime. I'm with The Beatles here in that we're all doing what we can and if you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out.


Let It Be
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be
When things get tough, whether you believe in Mother Mary or not, these are very wise words. Everything passes, eventually, and you'll get through.


Across the Universe
Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
They slither wildly as they pass
Perfect description of the creative process, don't you think? Also, I love how the refrain insists that nothing's gonna change my world, yet everything does.


That's just a taste. Tell me, what have The Beatles taught you? Or any other band, for that matter?







Subscribe to Our Blog Updates!




Share this article!
Return to top of page
Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML