12/20/2012

Beloved, Toni Morrison

[I could die of a broken heart after reading this book. Go read it right now.]

"Freeing yourself was one thing, claiming ownership of that freed self was another."

"... to get to a place where you could love anything you chose - not to need permission for desire - well now, that was freedom."

"... there was no bad luck in the world but white people. 'They don't know when to stop..."

"Love is or it ain't. Thin love ain't love at all."

"But maybe a man was nothing but a man, which is what Baby Suggs always said. They encouraged you to put some of your weight in their hands and soon as you felt how light and lovely that was, they studied your scars and tribulations, after which they did what he had done: ran her children out and tore up the house."

" [he] convinced me there was a world out there and that I could live in it. Should have know better. Did know better. Whatever is going on outside my door ain't for me. The world is in this room. This here's all there is and all there needs to be."

"... definitions belonged to the definers."

"She is a friend of my mind. She gather me, man. The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order. It's good, you know, when you got a woman who is a friend of your mind."



Subscribe to Our Blog Updates!




Share this article!
Return to top of page
Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML